Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Philosophy of Teaching Art

Teaching puppet-making projects in Cache Valley third grade classrooms provided by the Marie Eccles Caine Foundation – Russel Family.

After my students have left the classroom, I want them to have taken deeper meanings in life and apply them to everyday thereafter.  I want them to have life changing experiences in my classroom.  If I have given them enough thought and deepness in meaning, then they will want to tell their friends and family.  That would be extending my teaching to the community rather than just my students.  They will have experiences and pieces of art that they can be proud of and that they can refer back to in time of need as a reminder of the person they want to be or the person that they discover within themselves at the time of creating those pieces.  Looking at their works will be a daily and constant reminder for them to go into the world as a stronger and better person, stemming from direction and guidance I gave them in their high school classroom.  That is what I ultimately want my students to retain long after leaving the classroom – becoming a better person through expression in art and how to do it themselves throughout their lives to change the world around them.

Château de Chillon, Leytaux, Switzerland.